Compliance Manager, ACE
SFR3 is a boutique real estate investment fund that will acquire and renovate more than $3B worth of single-family homes by 2024. The Fund specializes in renovating distressed homes, using software-driven operations to scale across dozens of markets concurrently with a lean, nimble team. Today the Fund owns 10,000+ homes in 30+ metros, and its portfolio growth is among the fastest of any fund of any size in the country.
About the team
The compliance team’s mandate is to maintain a steady stream of properties ready to move into renovation - and to do so with speed, quality and at enormous scale. This includes everything from ensuring proper permits and registrations are filed with each municipality, to pro-actively working with cities to ensure every home in our portfolio is compliant. The team manages a pipeline of functions and processes to get hundreds of SFR3 homes ready for renovation every month, and keep them compliant throughout renovation.
You are a “hands on” entrepreneurial operator, understanding that massive, step-change improvement only happens when you pair data-driven insights & sound strategy with old fashioned roll-up-your-sleeves-and-do-it tactical execution.
You’re thrilled at any opportunity to face a new business challenge – hitting ambitious goals, analyzing data, and uncovering problems. You obsess over details without losing sight of the big picture. You also have a nose for inefficient processes - using data to guide you to the truth - at which point you relentlessly pursue fixing it. Plus you just work harder and smarter than everyone else and motivate the teams around you to raise the bar.
What you’ll do
Help SFR3 win by managing & executing production activities so that we can deliver ‘reno ready’ homes that our field teams don’t have to worry about lingering violations on. This will require plenty of raw, front-line execution in order to get things off the ground - and as a scrappy operator, no task is too mundane or trivial if it produces results. We’re growing fast, so now is the time the hustle 🏃!
- Triage violation notices and manage a portfolio of compliance projects, assigning work to the appropriate teams and seeing projects through to completion to ensure that we bring properties into compliance
- Build relationships with code enforcement and building departments to negotiate timelines towards resolution of building code violations
- Coordinate renovation projects with Renovation Directors, Project Managers, Property Managers and third party vendors towards the resolution of compliance issues
- Manage legal cases for housing violations and proactively work towards curing the violations and resolving the cases in the most cost effective manor
- Negotiate resolution of mechanic’s liens placed on properties by third party contractors
- Review and approve scopes of work for violations repairs, monitor projects to ensure completion, and close out cases with code enforcement
- Build relationships and interface with our 3rd party vendors to ensure quality and standards for maintaining our homes are never sacrificed
- Manage and support a distributed team of partners and contractors to to maintain compliance for SFR3’s properties – ensuring everyone is hitting their goals
- Provide insights on team performance and pre-production activities to identify gaps and prioritize workflow improvements
- Collaborate with SFR3’s leadership, industry-veterans and field teams to execute on new strategic initiatives that support the fund’s growth goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, administration or related field
- 5+ years of experience managing projects/programs in fast-paced environments
- Experience leading distributed support teams or contractors is a plus
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects at one time with competing priorities
- Ability to derive actionable insights from data
- Excel/google sheets and data analysis proficiency is a must
- SFR/real estate experience required